Illustrated Dental Embryology, Histology, and Anatomy
Fifth Edition, 2020
352 pages with over 685 illustrations
Get a clear picture of oral biology and the formation and study of dental structures. Illustrated Dental Embryology, Histology, & Anatomy, 5th Edition is the ideal introduction to one of the most foundational areas in the dental professions – understanding the development, cellular makeup, and physical anatomy of the head and neck regions.
Written in a clear, reader-friendly style, this text makes it easy for you to understand both basic science and clinical applications - putting the content into the context of everyday dental practice. New for the fifth edition is evidence-based research on the dental placode, nerve core region, bleeding difficulties, silver diamine fluoride, and primary dentition occlusion. Plus, high-quality color renderings and clinical histographs and photomicrographs throughout the book, truly brings the material to life.
NEW TO THIS FIFTH EDITION
• NEW! Evidence-based research thoroughly discusses the dental placode, nerve core region, bleeding difficulties, microplicae, serous demilunes, silver diamine fluoride, tooth whitening risks, dentin nerve fibers, imaging technology applications, epithelial rests of Malassez, tooth contacts, and arch leeway spacing within the primary dentition.
• NEW! Expanded coverage of key topics includes the latest embryology terminology, developmental disturbances such as velopharyngeal insufficiency, root morphology, smile design, third molar extractions, and cone-beam computed tomography.
KEY FIFTH EDITION FEATURES
• Comprehensive coverage includes all the content needed for an introduction to the developmental, histologic, and anatomic foundations of oral health.
• Hundreds of full-color anatomic graphics as well as clinical and microscopic photographs accompany text descriptions of anatomy and physiology.
• Clinical Considerations relate abstract-seeming biologic concepts to everyday clinical dental practice.
• Key terms within each chapter, accompanied by phonetic pronunciations, are highlighted within the text,
and a comprehensive glossary provides a quick and handy review and research tool.
• UPDATED! User-friendly pronunciation guide of terms ensures you learn the correct way to pronounce each
• UPDATED! Online related materials for both student dental professionals as well as instructors.
• UPDATED! Test Bank with cognitive leveling and mapping to the dental assisting and dental hygiene
national examination blueprints for instructors.
• Expert authorship with Margaret J. Fehrenbach and Tracy E. Popowics provides guidance and expertise related to advanced dental content.
Known for its top-notch artwork and readable writing style the 6th Edition provides student dental professionals with complete coverage of head and neck anatomy, plus detailed discussions of the
temporomandibular joint and its role in dental health, the anatomy of local anesthesia, and the spread of dental infection. Chapters are organized by anatomic systems of study and include expanded review questions that help prepare you for classroom and board examinations. Written by educators Margaret J. Fehrenbach and Susan Herring, this edition adds new illustrations and cutting-edge, evidence-based information on topics such as bone, muscle and nerve pathology, local anesthesia complications, and temporomandibular disorders as well as expanded mandibular local anesthesia injections coverage.
NEW TO THIS FIFTH EDITION
• NEW! Evidence-based research updates brain tissue layers, vessel anatomy and pathways, the facial nerve route and possible injuries, and local anesthesia target areas.
• NEW! Clinical Considerations link more of the content to practical in-office application.
• NEW! Underlying coverage of the relationship to patient systemic and oral conditions such as strokes, fractures, serious dental infections, and facial paralysis.
• NEW! Radiographic imaging techniques are updated with the latest protocols and guidelines, including cone-beam computed tomography (CBCT) and others.
• NEW! Easier-to-use pronunciation guide and updated structure mapping are tied to chapter objectives and to the lates
• NEW! Student Workbook reinforces learning with a wealth of practice opportunities such as review questions, identification exercises, clinical examination exercises, case studies, and flash cards. Available separately.
KEY SIXTH EDITION FEATURES
• Comprehensive but easy-to-understand coverage provides a solid foundation in head and neck anatomy with in-depth discussion of the TMJ, the anatomy of local anesthesia, and the spread of dental infection.
• About 400 full-color images include detailed and clearly labeled anatomic illustrations, skull photographs, and clinical images.
• Full-color format includes a clear depiction of the oral cavity and related gross anatomy.
• Key terminology is highlighted within the text and defined in a handy back-of-book glossary.
• Expert authors Margaret J. Fehrenbach and Susan W. Herring provide knowledge that is useful in both classroom and clinical settings.
• Learning resources on an Evolve companion website reinforce your understanding with review questions and quizzes.
Faculty or Desk Examination Copy or Educators Support 1-800-222-9570
or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Master the content from your textbook with this helpful study tool!
Key Fourth Edition Features
• Comprehensive coverage includes all the content needed for an introduction to the developmental, histological, and anatomical foundations of oral health.
• Detailed case studies include radiographs, clinical photos, profiles, complaints, health histories, and intraoral examination data, each accompanied by multiple-choice questions, to promote critical thinking skills and prepare students for board examinations.
• UNIQUE! Guidelines for Tooth Drawing emphasize fundamental principles in tooth design and include detailed instructions, tips, and dimensions for drawing each permanent tooth.
• Glossary exercises include crossword puzzles and word searches for practice and review of key terminology.
• Expert author Margaret Fehrenbach is one of the most trusted names in dental hygiene education.
• Detachable flashcards help students master tooth morphology and tooth numbering, with multiple-angle drawings of a permanent tooth on one side of the flashcard and characteristics of that tooth on the back.
• A logical organization allows students to focus on areas in which they may need more practice, with units on: (1) anatomic and structure identification and labeling, (2) glossary exercises (3) tooth structure, (4) review questions, and (5) case-based application.
• Perforated workbook pages are three-hole-punched so that they easily fit into a binder, and pages can be removed and submitted to instructors for assignments or extra credit.
New to This Fourth Edition
• NEW! Expanded structure identification exercises include additional developmental, microbiological, and anatomic structures for more practice identifying and labeling various parts or structures.
• NEW! Review questions for each unit provide even more opportunities for content mastery in preparation for classroom or board exams.
• NEW! Additional case studies include questions using the integrated national board format
• Updated! Evidence-based research thoroughly covers infection control of extracted teeth.
• NEW! Occlusal clinical assessment exercises help prepare students for chairside clinical patient care.
Past Reviews of Oral Biology Text
Past Reviews of H&N Textbook
Amazing! This book nicely covers the head and neck, the chapters are well structured. The pictures are amazing, the clarity of the pictures and labels are superb. At the start of every chapter there is a key terms table that explains new anatomical words, which I found helpful as a first year.Also there are some questions and diagrams that you can label at the end of each chapters that reinforce the information. And the book comes with some flash card with answers on the back, great for revising
Great! This book is very good! There are so many diagrams and great information. It is very easy to follow along with to learn the material.
Brilliant Book. I thought this was a fantastic book on head and neck anatomy. It covers every aspect including: surface anatomy, osteology, TMJ, vascular system, lymphatics etc. The clarity of the pictures are fantastic. There are a good size and everything is in color so it is easier to understand. The labels are very clear. As a dental student I found that this has helped me greatly and would recommend it highly.
Good textbook for Dental Hygienist/Hygiene Student This book is descriptive and shows several pictures demonstrating the areas a hygienist is required to know. I would definitely recommend this textbook to hygiene students.
One of the most used books of the semester
This is an excellent text for learning about the anatomy of the head. This is an excellent text for learning about the anatomy of the head and neck. I recommend it to anyone who studies this topic. The illustrations are exceptional and the text is easy to follow.
This is an easy-to-use introduction to foundational embryology and anatomy along with the basic body systems affecting dentistry. Chapters include images that you will color and connect with corresponding labels, and each image includes questions for self-testing and comprehension. Coverage includes the body systems, orofacial anatomy, dentition, skeletal system, muscles, veins, glands, nerves, lymph nodes, and fasciae and spaces. This coloring book is the perfect way to help you identify anatomical landmarks and understand the complex interrelationships involved in dental anatomy and physiology.
Back and better than ever, it offers everything you need to succeed in your coursework, at certification, and in clinical practice. No other dental hygiene text incorporates the clinical skills, theory, and evidence-based practice in such an approachable way. All discussions — from foundational concepts to diagnosis to pain management — are presented within the context of a unique patient-centered model that takes the entire person into consideration. New to this fifth edition is a much more streamlined approach — one that stays focused on need-to-know information, yet also houses expanded content on things like alternative practice settings, pediatric care, risk assessment, and dental hygiene diagnosis to give you added context when needed. This edition is also filled with new modern illustrations and new clinical photos to augment your learning. If you want a better grasp of all the dental hygienist’s roles and responsibilities in today’s practice, they Darby and Walsh’s renowned text is a must-have.
An essential dental resource that goes beyond education! It’s designed for both students and practitioners. This new edition defines over 10,000 terms on dynamic areas of dentistry, including materials, imaging, surgery, orthodontics, pain control, and more. Throughout the text, over 300 illustrations address new innovations, research, technology, and products in the field, and extensive appendices provide quick access to the information you will use every day. Plus, a free companion website contains more than 5,000 audio pronunciations, 500 additional images, videos, and animations to help illustrate key concepts.
Production by Fehrenbach and Associates
Master the content from your textbook with this helpful study tool!
This new companion to Illustrated Anatomy of the Head and Neck
provides a wide range of activities and skill-building exercises to strengthen the student dental professional's understanding of the principles discussed in the main textbook. This Workbook features activities related to each chapter of the text such as structure identification exercises, glossary exercises, and review questions. Also included are exercises in patient examination procedures for both extraoral and intraoral structures in order to integrate clinical information with basic science information. Summary case studies are also included as well as updated removable flashcards using the latest original illustrations from the textbook.
Additional material for students can be found online on the associated Evolve website, including answers to the Workbook's glossary exercises, review questions, and case studies by way of the instructor(s). We hope that this material will help students integrate their knowledge more easily into clinical dental coursework.